Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Dawn of Pressure...AT SIX?

I helped get my little girl (age 6) ready for school.  She said she didnt want to wear what I laid out for her to wear and I said well it is cute and you used to love it and said good things about it.  She said ok and put it on and we went about getting ready.

Well on the way out the door she tells me that her friends told her last time she wore it to school that they didnt like it.  It seems about right cus then memory recalled times when I tried to get her to wear it even on the weekends and she wouldnt.  It was too late to change so she wore it anyway.

First I want to say if I knew in advance I wouldnt have promoted wearing it.  Second I want to say that Im in no fashion (pun intended) promoting getting new clothes either.

Fortunately for me when I told a coworker about it she said just the day before her daughter came home and said her friends made fun of her for a "little kid water bottle"  so they said she could choose from one they already had and use it but they werent going to buy a new one just because of that and told her why.

My girl seemed ok with a similar explanation but I really surprised that 6 year olds are that concerned with what others are wearing!  My word.  I mean everyone having a hello kitty watch from a kids meal from a mcfatty wasnt weird enough.

No comments: