Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Discrimination

Recently I interviewed with a company for another job so that we can earn a little more and get out of debt and earn more money for savings. The job would have me drive a commercial vehicle. After telling them that I was diagnost epileptic they said the would have to check to see if I was okay to drive with DOT.
The interviewer told me a story about an employee with MS that was allowed to drive. Then shortly called me back later and said that DOT said I would not be able to drive a commercial vehicle.
Now if people with weak musceles can be approved to drive even though it may requre to apply the break with some for to keep them safe then why not those with epilepsy? We are medicated and if cleared by a doctor to drive we can drive a regular car. Im not seeing much difference.

2 comments:

carolyn q said...

Blake,
I didn't know you had your CDL? I had had mine for over 10 years ago when I worked for Orem City. I even have a tanker endorsment. I just keep renewing it since you never know when it will come in handy down the road.
I am sorry that you felt discriminated against and that they are not educated enough to know you would be fine. It's gotta be a dissapointement. Hang in there, the right job will come along.

B-Blogit said...

They said i didnt need my CDL but im sure it is the same. I didnt know you had one. That is cool to have I guess just in case you ever have to drive a big rig haha! I cant picture you drivin' truck. But i think it is discriminating against anyone who has seizures not just me, especially people who have muscle degeneration diseases can do it, even though their muscles will deteriorate so they cant push the pedal eventually but no seizure people.
I guess it really isnt that big of a deal, I was just more shocked!