Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering September 11th

I was on my mission in Connecticut. I woke up and walked out the door and someone told me what happened and I thought they were pulling my leg.  I went to visit a man who had was struggling with some family matters and we were there to comfort him.  He had the TV on and we couldnt believe our eyes.  I watched the replay of the second plane as the news talked about how they werent really sure what was going on if it was an accident or not but since there were two planes they figured it was an attack.  It was only rumored the Pentagon was attacked and that another plan was int he air set to attack as well but they werent sure exactly where it was.  This was before the passengers took United 93.  

I went to comfort someone and I just sat there glue to a TV like I never have before in awe, disbelieve and a little horror of the tragedy that was unfolding.  When I thought it couldnt get worse I saw the towers fall on the news.  Not entirely sure how to feel about the whole thing we tried to give the man we were with some comfort about the events of that morning and what was happening in his life and we went on.  We had nothing else to do but tracking.  Everyone had all the doors and windows open with the radio and TV news blasting loud.  We couldnt even hear ourselves knock on most doors since things were turned way up.  I think we got 5 people to answer the door in 3 hours.  One man that answered the door said "not now guys I'm on the phone with the airline my wife is dead".  His wife was on one of the flights from Boston to L.A. and at that time they didnt say what flight numbers they were but there were only 2 unaccounted for so he knew he she was gone! So sad!

We kept going back but he never would come to the door. I dont blame him I would be like Adam Sandler's character on Reign on Me. Totally go nuts and struggle!

The area seventy which was Elder Craig Zwick at the time he contacted all the mission presidents, stake presidents and bishops and we dropped everything and visited every member to make sure they were accounted for and find out if they knew loved ones in the towers and immediately get them home teacher, bishop and relief society help! He wanted done in 48 hours. Virtually every member of the ward knew someone in the tower or knew someone who at least used to work there in the towers that they might not be in contact with currently though so it was a shock to everyone.

It was horrible time there. Everyone was depressed and sad that week. for days after people had their windows and doors open every morning, radios on the front lawns with groups of people standing there listening or watching to find out if there were more attacks through the airports and to find out how many people lost their lives.

We had haze by the afternoon of the 11th in Hartford, CT area from the smoke that came. Since it is only 3 hours away we were very close to people there.

I went to NYC in 2003 (I think it was) and got to see Ground Zero.  It was still a huge gaping hole in the ground and some debris. We saw the barges still afloat out by Staten Island with the majority of the rubble and debris on it.  But mostly the hole was an excavation so they could start building a foundation for what now will be the Freedom Tower. You could see where the subway was when I saw it. It is breath taking. There is a huge plaque along one all honoring the NYFD and NYPD as well. It is incredible! All that was capped by the cork board they had along the wall facing the fencing where the hole was that had "missing" posted of people that have never been found. Brings tears.
Thank you NYPD, NYFD, all the known and unknown heroes and heroines that helped people that day.  Thank you to those who made difficult choices and took action to serve our country and the world in this matter to protect us and freedom!  Thank you to all who continue to make that sacrifice today!

I hope and pray for peace for those effected by the attacks directly and indirectly!

1 comment:

Katy said...

a beautiful post... thank you