Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day is the Best

Independence Day is the best.  We get to think about the founding fathers, heroes of the past and present from the revolutionary war to the war in Afghanistan.  This year it was quite real for me since I was able to hang around my little sister who just got home from her deployment in Afghanistan.  She told me all about what was happening out there and the great needs.  It did give me a different perspective on how things are being handled politically as well but I wont go into that now.

She came out to see me and boldly was telling many people what the needs were and why we were there.  I say boldly since this is a "blue" state and many people dont think we need to be there and just wish we could bring all the troops home.

Many people dont know about "unsung" heroes but we dont always give credit to the women who made this happen.  They helped sneak soldiers so they could escape in New York, clothed and fed them.  They made flags and took care of the farms and children while their husbands were fighting till they froze off their limbs with no pay coming home because the continental army couldnt always pay them.  I believe behind every great man and hero there was an equally strong or greater woman that made it possible for this all to happen and we dont think of that sometimes.  There is a book out that tells about some of these women and their roles in the Revolutionary War time and I would really love to get my hands on it.

Thank you to these women and men who scarified and continue to do so.  It is a great thing to have freedom.  We are striving to keep it and help bring it to others.  I know God played a role in the formation of this country and he has granted us bounteous blessings.

1 comment:

jackieadams said...

Nice write up Blake! I will get you the book. It's called Founding Mothers. It is really good. I got it for dad. If they have it on Amazon I'll send it to you. Your blog is fantastic. Jonna knows a lot, lot more that what the news portrays and the media that is for sure. She captured the attention of all the people at the Stephens reunion. Thanks for this post, I think you are top notch.