Saturday, October 23, 2010

Reality Check - Football

Well Im a week late almost in saying something about this but then again I just have been letting it sit for a while so that I can give a harsh reminder to people.  Yes, I am from Idaho and I have lots of friends who are fans of Boise St.  But the fact that they will ever be ranked #1 and possibly #2 in the BCS standings is never let me repeat NEVER going to happen with an undefended or 1 loss Big 12, SEC and/or Pac 10 (any combination) in the top 5.  Which is pretty much every year.  Even if BSU goes undefeated.  We saw the same thing happen last year folks so dont think it will be different.

This couldnt be anymore evident by this weeks reported standings:
1 Oklahoma 6-0
2 Oregon 6-0
3 Boise State 6-0

Despite BSU playing a few harder teams that Oregon and despite their overall stats being on average better it doesnt matter.  It is a WAC team and they have strength of schedule issues and really a stigma and stacked statistics that go behind the BCS rankings which will never.

Do I feel that they could beat Oklahoma, yes they have done it before, do i think they can beat Oregon, yes they have done it before.  Do I think they could be Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Michigan State, Utah or anyone in the top 25 for that matter.  Yes I think they could.  Do I think they should be #1 probably but it isnt gonna happen.  Sorry Im not Mr Rogers to sing "its a beautiful day" in college gameday.

Do I feel there should be a playoff system NO!  Do politicans need to be wasting time in making it such TRIPLE NO!  Do I think that the statistics that they pull to make up the BCS dont accurately represent what a team is really like YES!  But then again that is statistics and it can represent whatever you want it to by placing in whatever metrics you want and how you calculate it.

Back to watching football everyone!  Enjoy watching ESPN talk about if they will or wont make it to top spot.

2 comments:

Katy said...

freaking BSU fans make me mad as a wet hen. sure, BSU has won ALOT. sure, they might even be a decent team. BUT the COCKINESS behind the FANS gets me so enraged i could spit fire!!!!

i've lived in Idaho for 10 years now... i'm local, there, i said it.

But if that means spitting out asinine claims that BSU really is worth all the hype fans give them (despite the fact that when told they have a TEPID schedule that ensures undefeated seasons), then COUNT ME OUT!!!!!!!


whew, glad i got that off my chest! :)

maybe i'm just feeling a bit burned about how HORRIBLE "MY" team is doing.


Freaking U. of Wyo. They make me sad.

B-Blogit said...

Preach it sister! I couldnt agree more. There is a reason they are undefeated weak schedule! You said it and you are 100% right. Yes they play a few teams and have proven then can win.

The most they play them is every other year and it is usually the first game of the season which everyone does horrible there.

There are few apponents in pac 10 none in the SEC and only 1 in the big 12 they have ever played and thats it. if they did it week after week they wouldnt be undefeated.