Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Strawberry Boy in Strawberry World

Today we ventured off and explored the world of strawberries!  Since I love them and the kids love them we bravely endeavored the hour drive to Watsonville, CA where truly the best strawberries are grown.  Sorry all you folks who get some from the Bakersville area...they just dont measure up I have tasted and I know!

The whole area is covered with the fields.  Most fields are brown white and green. The white is plastic across the rows with holes cut for the plants to grow out and protect the roots from pests and the cold.  Also helps when you go more organic.

Some fields were greyish-brown from the manure that is spread all over the rows to help cultivate the soil and grow your berries.  So from poop it comes and poop it returns I guess.  Ok that was gross and thats all Im gonna say.

There were streams of people walking to fields and even large trucks with huge wood panels with hooks on the side with hanging jackets and backpacks.  It seemed that the kids went from school to the fields.  Here are some pictures.





Was odd that out of something dead in the middle of two strawberry fields that this would be growing this way!  Quick get some water on those berries...me wants em...my precious!

 Saw this on the way home and got a drive by shot through my car.  They do take visitors so Im totally going to go back sometime soon and maybe bring home some samples of the best sparklings cider EVER!

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh my goodness I'm so homesick for that stuff. I want to go to the bosenberry fields too South of Atwater out by the Dabney's house. Yummy yummy - and Watsonville is awesome. What beautiful photo's Blake!

Jackie said...

Oh my goodness I'm so homesick for that stuff. I want to go to the bosenberry fields too South of Atwater out by the Dabney's house. Yummy yummy - and Watsonville is awesome. What beautiful photo's Blake!

Katy said...

GREAT pictures, Blake! It's beautiful out there! And that cactus is crazy... good shot of that too

B-Blogit said...

thanks guys I love little field trips but the kids dont like them so much! :( now with gas going up after the holiday like it usually does I think the trips will be fewer. Im thinking we will hit $4 or more per gallon this year.