Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring and Gardening

If you are like me you just love spring time and gardening. Though I am not in a place to do a lot of it I figured I would say somethings maybe give people ideas who like to garden.

First of all there is always brown dirt somewhere and an easy thing is ground cover. Im not a fan of things like ivy unless they are growing up a lattuce or something. I am a fan of layering so you could do this in strips and or patches.

Start with a moss around the edges. This might even help keep the water inside your garden patch rather than have it run over the sides if there is no boarder. It is always easily cut away if it over grows onto a border sidewalk. This in particular is Scotch moss shown in a small patch.
Then add some Spotted Deadneedle. Yes this sounds horrid to put in your garden but it is quit nice. It grows a lot like ground cover and can even flower early in the season but stays green year round. Some are green leaves and flower in various colors, this one is white.
Around patches of the spotted deadneedle you could put three different things. Classic Forget Me Nots are fantastic and are annuals. I am partical to the blue ones especially with the contract color of the deadneedle and the scotch moss. Also you can put something like the perwinkle which will be an annual and last a longer time as well. Also dont forget another early bloomer the garde phalox.



Why not add in a bit more color accents with the bright orange of a California Poppy. Just scatter them around to share the color love through the whole space. These will stay in bloom through the season and are quite nice to see when they open and shut daily.

As part of layering you can go for small taller plants that flower. Lavander is a good pick here. You could put in some bulbs like cali lilly, tuplip, galidus, etc. as well as long as the colors look nice to you. Behind that you can put in some bushes to get the layered and depth look to your space. I would recommend Azales. These come in a variety of colors and you can get smaller ones than in this picture.

If you are like me you want something of a variety and interesting for yourself. Something that might not be seen in most gardening space. The Japanese Spirea is just that. It has an interesting texture of flower and is a slower grower and can be a larger layer. There is a variety of colors on this one as well.

If your space is big enough you could even allow for one of my favorite flowering trees. Dogwoods would be nice but I just cant get over the Magnolia. I cant find a decent picture of a tree but here is what the flower on it will look like.

Happy planting everyone and let me know what you think or recommend things!

3 comments:

Rach said...

I wish I could see that picture of what you would make. Those are really pretty flowers!

Katy said...

Hi Blake, I'm from Mission 24 and I try to look at one person's personal blog a day from our group (i like to peek in on what they do other than take awesome pics)... well, looks like you're a through and through great photographer... i love the last pic of the Magnolia... it's beautiful.

hope you have a great weekend.

Katy

B-Blogit said...

Katy thanks for stopping by and thanks for the comments. You are welcome back anytime. You are a great photographer as well.

I actually didnt take these pictures I just found them on google images and didnt have a copy right so i put them on.