Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Patriotic Thoughts

The closing hymn for our church meeting was The Star Spangled Banner. The 4th is my favorite holiday because it was sort of the official day that the documents separating us from England was accepted. I sang that song and was overwhelmed with emotion for the severely inexperienced in military matters men who lead battles, the brave men who fought frozen and gave up life, land, family and more to fight for the just cause of freedom. I thought of amazing women who did brave things to help the cause. I thought of the minds of men so willing to seek the counsel of God in their quest to find freedom and create a new government so we could govern ourselves!

I pictured the farmers from mostly the New England states and Midatlantic states suffering for dissentary and frostbite bravely charging and paddling across rivers in the freezing winter blizzards. It truely was an event that was inspired and blessed by God. Only he could form a free nation through the hands of farmers and inexperienced men and women.

If you haven't read 1776 the book you should. Even if it isn't you bag baby suffer through it and gain huge perspective on the miracle of it all!

God bless them and all those who stand for liberty in action or voice armed to fight or willing to serve otherwise! It is our right anf duty and it is a blessing of enormous proportion

1 comment:

Katy said...

i too love love LOVE Independence Day. And for me- it's mostly the gratitude I have for being adopted to this amazing country with a family who loves me and has taught me eternal truths... something that could have never happened if i were never adopted.

So thanks for reminding us (me) that it's about more... so much more!

ps. 1776- Taylor LOVES that book! He also highly recommends John Adams too.